Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Strange Little Minds...


Have you ever wished you could see into your kids strange little minds? I often do. Then upon truly thinking about what I might see, am quite glad that I can't! The strange life of living with children, or at least MY strange life of living with my children!

Currently, my kids are obsessed with tornados & poop. Grace is constantly concerned that a tornado is coming, although we live in a rare pocket under the mountain that seldom sees any. She has imparted this, of course, to her little brother as well. They like to use the "I think a tornado is coming" as a way to stay up just a little later at bed time. (they can turn ANYTHING into a reason to stay up late) And as with all kids this age, poop is about the funniest thing ever. They like to sing songs but replace all the words with "poop". Classy. They especially like to do this where others can hear them, like the market, target, and my personal fav, The Broadmoor. (the young business women at a conference there were all doubling up on birth control after seeing my kids in action-I have to admit I enjoyed their snooty looks of disgust, I used to be one of them after all!) SO when I asked Grace what Daddy should be for Halloween, I shouldn't have been surprised to here the words 'Poop Tornado' come out of her perfect little bow mouth. Love it!

Since Grace's invention of the 'poopnado', Tommy has really enjoyed talking about it as well. Only problem is he is rather hard to understand sometimes. So when he started asking "shut up poop teenagers" in the grocery (the worst things always happen when I am shopping for groceries-but that is another blog) he was actually asking me if I had been sucked up by a poop tornado. Good question. I have to say I wan't looking my best that day so it WAS a legitimate question. I realize now what great experience it was for me to be stared at so much in high school because I dressed so strangely-doesn't phase me too much now when people are staring because of the odd things my kiddos do and say!

The other day Tommy asked if a poop tornado could get us in the house, to which I replied, " We were just being silly, they are not real". He looked at me very seriously, almost as if he felt sorry for my stupidity, then tilted his head to the side and is the sweetest angelic high voice he said "sometimes they real", gave me a pat, then walked off. So if Tommy is at your house in the near future, this topic could come up!

So you might be thinking, geez, what kind of a Mom is she, letting her kids get away with this stuff in public. Worn out for one! We have had the talk about things that are funny at home are not always funny out in public, but so far they just are not getting it. I know several of my friends are going through the same thing. We are lucky to have kids with such personality and humor! (I have to remind myself of that sometimes!) So for now, I am more concerned with keeping Grace from walking into moving cars and Tommy from running off and scaling a building.

Halloween should certainly be interesting this year for sure. Am I making this costume? Probably not, but it sure would be funny. Well, at least as long as he didn't wear it to the grocery store...




4 comments:

  1. Dude, when Ben and I were little, EVERYTHING revolved around the words "Kitty brains and barley" and "cow patty". We had songs made up about "Kitty brains and barley is so good to eat!" and we would sing it EVERYWHERE! I am sure we humiliated Mom more than once. See where they get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brandi, I needed to laugh this morning! I almost took a drink of my coffee around the time I read "shut up poop teenagers". Good thing I hadn't yet, because my computer would be covered in coffee! Strange little minds, indeed!

    Thanks for the laugh, friend! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poop tornado IS funny outside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO, at 10am on Halloween-I DID make the Poop tornado, with help from Ben's Mom, my Mom & my little Sister. I will post some pics-
    Grace of course was delighted, but even more so was her Daddy who finally had a reason to dress up as a poop tornado. Perhaps it wasn't Grace's invention... LOL. It was an awesome halloween!

    ReplyDelete